I messed up. Now I see clearly

 So I certainly messed up.  


I stood in front of a group of librarians, with a book in my hand, about to share a blessing for Presence as I wrapped up one of the longest hours of my life; a talk about filling their cups, about being happy, I stood there and said; ‘you know what they say, you shouldn’t read to adults.’ 


Firstly; to librarians - who’s soul’s job is to get people to read, and or to discover new books, submerge themselves into the written word.  


AND let me point out this little bit of information, which I find, simply hilarious – I am a fan of audio books - I, essentially, as an adult - read to all. the. time.  


So, where did I hear this idea, where did I learn it from and then so inwardly digest it - I didn’t even question the words coming out of my mouth as I was saying them to the Librarians?  


I learned this from Adult Educator Training - I was in training to become an adult educator.  


It was so ingrained in me - this idea - I had never questioned it’s validity - or its usefulness. It was taught to us, suggested to us; reading to adults was somewhat insulting — I forgot they were referring to reading slides on a powerpoint presentation to adults, who were also looking at the same slide. 

John O’Donohue had me at one point in my life, about the blindness of my habits.  What habits had become so ingrained - I was blind to them.  This. This habit of believing reading to adults was a no no.  When the proper use of this idea - is yes, reading the powerpoint slide is not great.  


Reading a blessing, a poem, a book passage to librarians is an honour - not a mistake.  


I read the blessing, I closed the presentation - and immediately was questioned by two table mates, ‘who told you this, to never read to adults?’ – I couldn’t remember immediately – and then it dawned on me -  I had learned it; in context with adult learning as I stated above.  Now, I reflect on this ‘lesson’ from 20 years ago - is it true? Does it still make sense?  In this time of inclusivity - maybe reading the powerpoint slide is a kindness for those in the audience who may have literacy challenges, maybe they are not strong english language readers, maybe they have visual challenges — so now, I am going to read to adults.  Read passages, poems and beautiful words strung together as they make sentences.  I am going to read to people as a gift - for people to enjoy what I am inspired to share.  


I am so glad I was challenged to re-examine my blindness of habit with this belief.  It was too bad it was in such a public and embarrassing way.  Well, there we go.  It has been challenged, it has been released.  


You can find me reading to adults most weekdays in either of my two FB Membership Sites; The Happiness Studio and/or The Creator’s Circle on FB.  


Where might you be in a habit so deep you are blind to it, a belief so ingrained, you cannot see another way? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring

Today, I was honoured, again.

A Blessing ~ Good Wishes